WindowsSecurity.com has an article by Massimiliano Romano, Simone Rosignoli and Ennio Giannini on “How Botnets work”.
It’s a very in-depth (and technical) article that will give you lots of gory details.
What you will learn…
- what are bots, botnets, and how they work,
- what features most popular bots offer,
- how a host is infected and controlled,
- what preventive measures are available and how to respond to bot infestation.
What you should know…
- how malware works (trojans and worms in particular),
- mechanisms used in DDoS attacks,
- basics of TCP/IP, DNS and IRC.
Structure of a typical botnet.