We are pleased to announce the launch of GFI VIPRE Antivirus Lifetime Edition, an innovative new version of GFI’s award-winning antivirus and firewall solution that enables consumers to cut the cost of antivirus and internet security and gain peace-of-mind by knowing they are protected for the lifetime of their PCs.
VIPRE Antivirus Lifetime Edition includes all of the features available in VIPRE Antivirus Premium but with the added advantage of lifetime protection and antivirus definition updates. Consumers will pay only the one-off retail price for the product and will receive virus definition and software updates for the life of the PC on which it is first installed.
“VIPRE Lifetime represents a unique value proposition and a change in how consumers buy and use antivirus software on their home PC,” said Alex Eckelberry, general manager of GFI’s Security Business Unit. “Our one-off price for a product that lasts the life of a PC, rather than just 12 months, means peace of mind and even better value for money, without compromising on protection from malware.”
“Antivirus protection can be a costly purchase for home users, as the true cost of a product – the annual renewal fees to keep receiving the latest virus definition updates – is rarely communicated at the time of purchase. Our new approach means consumers no longer have to worry about renewing or replacing their antivirus software until it’s time to replace the computer itself,” Eckelberry continued.
About VIPRE Antivirus Lifetime
VIPRE Antivirus Lifetime Edition is designed to provide the fundamental, necessary desktop malware protection that users need in today’s threat environment. Instead of creating a product loaded with “marketing” features (such as parental controls or online backup), GFI focused on the core features that provide users with comprehensive protection – desktop firewall, host-based intrusion prevention (HIPS), malicious URL filtering and an intrusion detection system (IDS). This enables the best protection on the market today with minimal demand on system resources.
It includes notable features such as extensive support for removable drives; support for 64-bit environments, including a 64-bit boot cleaner and 64-bit rootkit scanner; support for Mozilla Firefox Scan Extensions; and other capabilities to bolster the efficiency and performance of VIPRE.
Premium Features in the Lifetime edition include:
Two-way firewall: This fully integrated bi-directional firewall supports 32 and 64-bit environments and protects users from unwanted incoming and outgoing traffic. The firewall can run in a “Simple” mode (which provides inbound protection and requires virtually no user interaction) or for advanced users, a “Learning” mode (which adds outbound protection, requiring the user to train the firewall on acceptable outbound traffic). In addition, there is a “Boot Time” firewall mode, which limits access on the PC to only certain resources upon loading.
Web filtering: Since most threats are web-borne, the web filtering module provides vital protection against a wide range of web-based attacks.
Features of the web filtering module include:
- Malicious URL Filtering: Using GFI’s industry-leading ThreatTrack™ database of malicious URLs, Malicious URL Filtering provides a significant additional layer of protection against the rapidly evolving online threat environment. Constantly updated by GFI’s malware research labs, ThreatTrack is used by numerous leading security organisations.
- Ad blocking: Ad blocking cleans the clutter on the web, blocking many third-party advertisements from ever appearing while surfing.
- Anti-phishing: Blocks access to known phishing websites by email or through the web browser.
- Cookie settings: Filter persistent cookies, session cookies, foreign cookies and referral information from an originating website.
- IDS (Intrusion Detection System): The desktop IDS functionality of VIPRE provides an additional layer of protection against a wide range of both inbound and outbound malicious internet traffic (such as an attempted exploit).
- HIPS (Host Intrusion Prevention): The HIPS functionality protects against an attack vector known as code injection, where an application attempts to “ride-along” the credentials of another application to exploit a system.
Pricing and availability
GFI VIPRE Antivirus Lifetime is available from retailers from October 2010. VIPRE Antivirus Lifetime for a single PC has a recommended retail price of £59.95. Virus definition updates and protection continues for the life of the machine with no annual renewal fees or additional charges. All prices include VAT.
VIPRE is compatible with both 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7.