I don’t know if Unisys overstated the problem, but here is what they found:
- 11% of UK consumers have been the victims of identity theft and fraud
- 58% have no desire to be educated about fraud
- 61% have no concerns about the safety of bank or building society accounts
(only 9% worry a lot compared to almost twice that for U.S. consumers)
- 73% of consumers have never been contacted by their banks to discuss potential fraud
- 50% would not switch banks or building societies if offered better security protection
Unisys thinks it’s costing businesses 1.3 billion pounds a year.